Sunday 7 April 2013

Day 10: Another bad sleep, another bad day.


Pain in Jaw: 4/10

I'm still not managing to sleep much at night, and tiredness has definitely begun to set in. It seems that during the night is when my pain sets in most. Since surgery i've only ever had pain around my bottom jaw and chin, but lately it's moved into my upper jaw - over where I assume my surgical incision line is and into my ears.

I broke the other two bands (as guessed) late last night, I called my hospital ward as it was Sunday and I was seen by different maxillofacial surgeons at 9am; but both knew my surgeons and what he wanted. They spent time finally showing me how to replace the bands incase it happened again. I didn't realise that I still had a surgical line in my gums being held together by my stitches, I assumed that it was too deep for me to check out myself, but they checked this out - and so did I. They answered a few questions that I had and reassured me that opening my mouth a little was ok, and encouraged it - if they wanted me completely still they'd have wired me. (They also told me a story where one of their patients bit through an apple soon after surgery and it moved their jaw by a couple of mm, to think how on earth they achieved this is unreal!) Anyway, they told me the importance of trying to open and close your mouth so that the brain can adapt to the new bite position. They both complimented what an amazing job he'd done and that the results were great, and off I went to enjoy the rest of my day.

I've been on a real low today. I'm fed up of liquid, and i'm fed up of being banded together, and i'm fed up of people asking me 'what' when I attempt to communicate with them! Urgh! But I know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel somewhere, even if it is a little dim at the moment!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Emma, I'm Tina and had double jaw surgery + genioplasty the day before you on March 27th in Guildford. I check your blog each day to see how you're doing and compare what I'm going through - thank you for blogging, you have no idea how much it has helped. I'm older than you - 34 and haven't been having an easy time : definitely not in the mood for posting online . Just wanted to say that today sounds like a crappy day but tomorrow will be different I promise. I seem to be having ups and downs as well ... for me, the numbness in my face is slowly returning but just like you, all of a sudden, since Saturday, the insides of my mouth have been agony. Poking around in there and trying to see what's going on doesn't help either. Not sure what I can say to encourage you but hang in there, it's just time apparently. My surgeon has promised that by Friday, I should feel much better ...I'm sure you will too.

    As for the food thing - oh my word, what I would do to be able to eat a packet of Ready Salted McCoys :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tina :)

      Thank you for that, I really appreciate it and i'm glad i'm of help to you! It's so nice there is a whole community of 'jaw surgery goers' who are there to support one another in days like this! It makes you realise you're not on your own!

      I'm putting the inside agony down to feeling returning, which I guess isn't a bad thing! McCoys for you? It's got to be beans on toast for me! I've planned my whole day of eating again when I finally can! The only downside is theres only 3 meals in one day - I wonder how i'm possibly going to fit in all the foods i've missed, although I'm sure i'll have a good go at it haha!

      Hope recovery treats you well! :)
      x

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear you've been having a tough time but stay strong. The communication thing can be a nightmare and it was music that got me through that, lots and lots of music. As for the food, it's amazing but you do reach a point where you just don't care anymore. You will start to feel better and when you do every day will feel a bit brighter. Hang in there xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Liz! Thank you for your comment. I guess bad days are to be expected, and i'm pretty surprised I haven't had more than there is. It's nice to know that theres people around you who are going through the same things though, and there is a light at the end of the tunnel somewhere! :) xx

      Delete
  3. Hi Emma I just had dubble jaw surgery on June 14 and I am almost two weeks down I woke up in the middle of the night and I notices I could open one side of my mouth I was Freeking out I hope that I did not mess up anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bethany.
      What do you mean by you can open one side of your mouth? Are you banded together? If so, it may be that your bands have snapped and I suggest you visit your ortho and surgeon for a replacement! I found that quite a few of my bands snapped all of the time!

      Delete